Welcome back to The Punished Podcast! In this episode, we talk about the gaming phenomena that inspired this site’s very name: the backlog.
The Punished Podcast Episode 3
You’ve got games to play, and so do we. Listen along as we discuss what’s in our current backlogs, the challenges to getting through that stack of games, and tips for newcomers looking to break into the hobby. Plus, hear our reactions to a spicy take from the site’s newest contributor, Zack Gulinello!
Tips for Managing a Gaming Backlog
Here’s a brief summary of our strategies for managing the backlog:
- Create a two-in, one-out policy for yourself (i.e., you have to beat two games before you can buy one new one… though easier said than done).
- Find an accountability buddy to play the same game as you.
- Use a tool like HowLongToBeat to see how long a game takes the average player to complete, so you can plan accordingly.
- Adjust your expectations around what it means to “beat a game.” In his essay on Elden Ring, fellow Punished Backlogger Sam Martinelli encourages the perspective that you’re finished with a game when you’re no longer enjoying it—even if that’s before you roll the credits.
- 0:00 – Intro
- 3:00 – Discussing Video Game Backlogs
- 48:00 – Zack’s Hot Take!
- 1:05:30 – Outro: Episode 4 Preview, and “What’re You Playing Next?”
Games In Our Backlog
We discuss a wide range of games, new and old. In alphabetical order, here are some that dominated our conversation (and haunt our free time):
- Alan Wake 2 (2023)
- Coffee Talk (2020) and Coffee Talk Episode 2 (2023)
- Dave the Diver (2023)
- Elden Ring (2022)
- Hollow Knight (2017)
- Immortals: Fenyx Rising (2020)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (2023)
- Mail Time (2023)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2017)
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (2018)
- Season: A Letter to the Future (2023)
- Smushi Come Home (2023)
- Spider-Man 2 (2023)
- Super Mario Bros. Wonder (2023)
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2016)
- Venba (2023)
- “Main Theme” (Ludvig Forssell) from Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain
- “Ground Theme” (Koji Kondo) from Super Mario Bros.
- “The Nightingale” (Marcin Przybyłowicz) from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- “Greenpath” (Christopher Larkin) from Hollow Knight
- “Trailer Theme” (Failpositive) from Smushi Come Home